As a union, we value our members, and therefore, we believe by working together as a unit we can better protect the rights and values we all share. Strong local unions have the ability to advocate for what is best for the students they serve. No educator should have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. Joining the Lancaster Education Association builds power to the bargaining position of the union for contract and labor negotiations. Over 95% of the work done by our union officers is related to contract enforcement NOT protecting so-called “bad teachers.”
Education Associations provide support, guidance, and advice while allowing you a voice in educational trends, debates, and topics that you feel strongly about. Examples include Common Core, standardized testing, ESSA, special education, and school funding among others. Most education associations have a helpline that its members can call to seek advice in a variety of areas. This support is available at the national, state, and local levels.
Ohio Education Association (OEA) is the largest union in the state of Ohio, while National Education Association (NEA) is the largest union in the country. No one knows more than we do about how to make public schools great. Only when decision makers hear and understand us will progress be made. A strong, visible local membership shapes district and administrative actions.
You deserve quality professional development opportunities. NEA and OEA often provide professional development opportunities for members. In addition, no educator should have to go in the classroom and worry about unfair attacks. NEA and OEA can provide legal protection and advice.
Lancaster Education Association has brought you the following contract and labor benefits:
- Class size limits
- Length of work day, prep time, uninterrupted lunches
- 2-hour delays (do not report), calamity days
- Additional step increases based on experience and education levels
- Absences (personal/family illness, maternity, adoption, bereavement)
- Fair evaluations, re-employment, provisions for reduction in force
NEA and OEA provide several discount programs to its members:
- Insurance – car, home, life, rental, pet
- Financial – mortgages, H&R Block, investment products, credit cards, ID theft protection
- Legal – attorney referral program and discounted services when dealing with wills, adoption, real estate, divorce
- Travel – guided tours, hotels/motels, rental cars, restaurants
- Personal – Costco, wireless service, magazines, vehicles, propane/natural gas heating, other shopping discounts
- Professional – Corwin, Lesson Planet, Junior Library Guild, Works4Me, GPS (collaboration Network)